Thursday, November 22, 2012

Lincoln

One can define mediocrity by looking at Spielberg's career after 1993.  He's made some great films over his career, some bad ones, and a lot of mediocre ones.  Lincoln unfortunately falls into the latter category.  After seeing the trailer for the first time I felt like I had to see it more than I wanted to see it. I can't help but wonder what a different director could've done with the incredibly talented cast.  I can't come up with a 'Bore Horse' pun for Lincoln, but if I could, I would.

The film focuses on the last three months on Lincoln's life as he works to pass the 13th amendment, abolishing slavery in the US.  The majority of the film's relevant bits take place within the house as they debate and vote (yes, this voting scene goes on forever) the proposed amendment. 

With such a wonderful cast; Daniel Day-Lewis (likely the very best at what he does), Sally Field, David Strathairn, James Spader, Hal Holbrook, Tommy Lee Jones, John Hawkes, Jared Harris, etc, it's a real shame that acting is about all the movie has going for it.  The major fault, outside of Spielberg's messy direction, is the uninspired screenplay.  The pace is too slow, the scenes don't mesh well, the dialogue is contrived and just too over the top.  It seems like every line was written as a perfect zinger.

Each scene is a very lengthy conversation  that drags on longer than it should, followed by an irrelevant scene featuring Joseph Gordon-Levitt's will to join the army, or Lincoln telling someone a story.  Coupled with one of the oddest choices to end a film about Lincoln, I just can't come up with a better word than 'messy'. Seriously, whose idea was it to have Lincoln appear inside of that candle flame like that?

After the film I immediately compared it to The King's Speech.  Another wonderfully acted, incredibly boring, historical biopic.  Neither film is bad, neither film is very good.  They're just the exact same type of Oscar bait.

I've likely painted an overly negative picture here, but perhaps it's because I'm disappointed at the potential this movie and cast had, and the end result.  That said, I fully expect it to sweep the Oscars, which are as irrelevant to me as the Grammys.

C

No comments: