Monday, June 25, 2012

The Last Days of Disco

Sharp, witty, dry dialogue really hits home for me.  Ask most people, and they'd define my humor as dry and sarcastic.  The Last Days of Disco has one such character, Des, that really got me.  Outside of him, and the lead, Alice, I didn't care much for the characters or their arcs.

Most of the time we're witnessing Alice (Chloe Sevigny) and Charlotte's (Kate Beckinsale) nightlife, which overflows into their workplace, coworkers, what have you. Even though I had no emotional attachment to Charlotte, who could've been hit by a bus for all I care, I didn't necessarily dislike her, I was just indifferent.  Indifference likely describes my feelings for most of the characters and what's going on in their lives.  Really the only two people that peaked my interest were Alice and Des.  Both of whom deliver very low-key and absurdest bits of dialogue.

At times the dialogue and story seem a bit over the top, melodramatic, weird, or forced.  Indifference again is the worst that comes to mind.  There's an occasional joke or clever line that keeps the film rolling along, the main plot/theme of the movie never really comes out terribly strong.  And without a strong plot, there isn't much else here.

The best moments of the film come out of the sheer bizarreness of what's being discussed. There are scenes were characters are intellectually dissecting and comparing themselves to characters from Lady & The Tramp, and the line "there's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck" will stay with me for a while.  On the flipside there are scenes in which the characters are struggling through friendships, relationships, both professional and personal, and to me, they fell flat.

The negatives don't necessarily outweigh the good, though the film seems like it's teetering on the edge of mediocrity.

C+

No comments: