Monday, July 9, 2012

Katy Perry: Part of Me

I genuinely attempt to see movies on a clean slate without expectations, but often times I find that impossible. If a director I'm a fan of makes a film I'll undoubtedly expect to like it. For example, I saw Magic Mike the same day on Soderbergh's name alone. I'm also quite looking forward to Wong Kar-Wai's kungfu flick, The Grand Master. However, the opposite also holds true, Katy Perry is a case in point. 

I've never listened to her music, nor do I care for the genre, so I honestly had no idea what to expect when I pulled open the theatre door. I can however say that I genuinely felt embarrassed when it came time to hand my tickets to the usher. Once I settled into my seat in the nearly empty auditorium, I was again ready for anything.

As with most movies, I believe the trailers are a strong indicator for the quality of the film I'm about to watch. Before this I was treated trailers for Pitch Perfect and a Kevin James MMA vehicle titled Here Comes the Boom. The encore of this package was a Grease sing-along, which left me both confused and furious.
 
Katy Perry begins with several confessions from fans about how Katy's music has changed their lives. None of which are convincing because they're generally about 9-12 years old. Eventually we transition into the formulaic outline for every film like this: talking heads from friends, family and her crew, basic life story, the struggle to find success, and concert footage mixed in throughout. This is certainly no game changer.

There were, in all honesty, moments that genuinely interested me. For example, I was unaware that she grew up in a very strict Pentecostal home where her parents were traveling preachers. Though interesting, it certainly wasn't enough to warrant a film. 

Not being familiar with Perry's singing career I believe the live concert footage is what upset me the most. It's just way too much. You've got outlandish costumes, enormous and colorful sets, dozens of background dancers, etc. As the friend seated next to me described them "it's like Dr. Seuss on Acid."

It's all just so choreographed and forced. I always take issue with musical acts like this because it feels like it's about so much less than the music and more about putting on a show to compensate. Once you take away the costumes and sets, you've got the same generic unoriginal pop that already floods the market. As one fan remarked into the camera 'I love that her lyrics come from life experiences.' I'm not sure I can name a musician whose lyrics don't come from life experiences.

The film attempts to inject drama by following Perry as she goes through her ups and downs with her then-husband Russell Brand. There's not much substance added, as he just briefly appears in a few scenes and says a word or two, there's never any attempt to establish an emotional connection to the relationship. Eventually, as we all know, they divorce and we're subjected to Perry's depression. 

There is a scene very late in the film that contains a genuine moment whereas the rest of the film feels so staged and safe.  Perry's relationship seemingly has hit rock bottom as she weeps, mopes, and lays in her chair before a show.  Her crew asks if she wants to cancel the show or go out and do her best.  She pulls herself together, holding back tears, leaning onto her crew-members and she's unable to stand on her own.  Just as she's about appear on stage, she perks up, smiles, and heads out like nothing's wrong.   Amongst the overdone, glittery mess of the rest of the film, if there was a movie here, this was it.
There's also a great deal of time spent discussing her initial struggle for success, which was not the least bit captivating. Virtually every musician has struggled early on in their career, this isn't anything to write home about, we've seen it all before. 

It may sound like I'm being too harsh or brash with this film, but I honestly don't see the point in making it, and the box office seems to agree with me. I do believe that Perry seems like a genuinely kind and sweet person, as evidenced by the interaction with her fans and crew, but I simply don't see any reason for this to be released in theatres. Sadly, continuing the 3D concert/biography film series that Bieber kicked off last summer, I fully expect a Lady Gaga picture within the next year.

D+

No comments: