I'm going to preface this by saying I have little to no desire to write this review, so it's going to be half-assed. Not necessarily because it's bad, but because I just don't care enough.
Life of Pi tells a pretty cool story, just in an incredibly detached and distracting way. Essentially Pi's family is leaving India for Canada, and bringing the animals from their zoo along for the ride to sell them, or something. The ship sinks during a storm and Pi is the only human that manages to make it to a life boat. Aboard this boat he finds one of the tigers from the zoo well...you get it.
Life of Pi is a very pretty film, but the majority of it is in CGI and it gets rather old rather quickly. It didn't help that I saw it in 3D which means I had to wear irritating glasses over my glasses, and forgot it was in 3D by the time the trailers ended...it adds absolutely nothing. Please stop making movies in 3D.
The film runs a bit long, and it's likely because the story is told via an interview. Meaning every 10-15 minutes each segment is broken up by us returning to a present day Pi being interviewed by some dude trying to find a story for a book. There's no advantage/meaning/reason for this interview style, it just detracts from the film and makes it longer and more detached than it needed to be.
Life of Pi has some serious religious weight, and I found it to be overdone. The message is too deliberate and bothersome. It's at least semi non-denominational.
I don't feel strongly about this either way, and I don't have much to say about it. I'm not sure there's a whole lot you could say about it.
C+
No comments:
Post a Comment